Tenebrae Responsoria by Carlo Gesualdo (1560-1613)
Performed by the Ensemble Energeia
6 a capella singers directed by Jean-Dominique Abrel: 2 sopranos, 1 countertenor, 1 tenor, 1 baritone,1 basse
Music that is traditionally performed during the Triduum Pascal services (the Thursday, Friday and Saturday before Easter Sunday), GESUALDO’s musical corpus contains the liturgical responses for these services known as « tenebrae ». This opus was composed towards the end of his life, at the end of the 16th and beginning of the 17th centuries. It contains the same emotional charge as his madrigals and encapsulates the audacity of this extraordinary composer with its unusual harmonies and dynamic contrasts.
Ensemble Energeia’s interpretation of this work, unique in the history of western music, is intended to offer a different view and contribute to a contemporary interpretation of early music. In this period of seeking points of reference, this music is indispensable.
This promises to be a sublime, moving and unmissable concert!
this evening's wine partner, from 7p.m
- Courgette salade with roquefort sauce.
- Bruchetta of aubergine caviar and dried duck breast.
- Three-citrus salmon tartare.
- Mini hamburger of chicken rillettes with onion confit and salad.
- Roast chicken breast fillet with béarnaise sauce.
- Fresh brebis mousse with thyme jelly.
- White chocolate panacotta with custard sauce and spéculos crumbs.